Friday, May 28, 2010

Superman Cupcakes: A Challenge

When my boyfriend's sister asked me to make her Superman cupcakes, I had to rack my brain on how to execute it. See, I have never made my own topper ever before. I used fondant before, but that was store bought and it tasted horrible. So, I did my research and decided to use harden royal icing as the topper.

Usually, royal icing is piped unto parchment paper, and I didn't have any at home and I had no time to buy since I had to let them dry overnight. So, I used the next possible solution, I used acetate. Yep, the normal overhead projector acetate I had in my drawer from college. Don't worry. I washed it well before I used. I made the royal icing using egg whites. I researched thoroughly on the safety of using raw egg whites and I have decided to use meringue powder next time. I think these are okay since I ate one and I am still feeling well.

So, I printed a small image of Superman's logo, made red and yellow royal icing and as you can see, they look pretty okay. :) I let them dry overnight.

What amazed me the most was how easy it was to peel the logos off! Acetate was a great substitute for parchment. Of course you can't bake with acetate, that would be stupid, but I guess for icing purposes, it is perfect!

I was extremely excited by how they turned out. Of course, I think I need more practice in the piping department as my hands were a tad bit shaky during piping. I have to say, piping is hard work especially if you have to do a lot of the same designs. :) I am looking forward to the tons of designs I can make with this new found knowledge. Think of all the possibilities.. Anyway, I piped blue icing on top of moist chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache inside. Topped them with the logos and it's done! I present to you, my first SUPERMAN cupcakes! :) Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment