Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oh Sweet Caramel


I am huge fan of caramel. Nothing is better than this rich, buttery, sticky, sweet and salty goo on top of my vanilla ice cream. I would always order the caramel sundae from McDonald's while most people usually get the chocolate fudge. Anyway, since I love it so much, why not add it to my roster of cupcakes?

This caramel cupcake is delish. I did the whole caramelizing the sugar in a saucepan waiting for it to turn into a deep amber color. I use that to flavor the cupcake, reducing the sugar of a normal vanilla cupcake recipe and replacing it with the pure caramel syrup I made.
For the frosting, I just used brown buttercream, perfect pairing to the caramel flavor. What I did was I browned the butter and then I waited for it to cool a bit, placed it in the fridge for several hours, the caramel I just left in room temperature. After a few hours, once the browned butter is hard again, I creamed it in the mixer, topped it with caramel syrup and then a bit of powdered sugar and you have heaven. :)

Speaking of which, I am not allowed to eat anything, sweet, spicing, salty or basically anything with flavor for a few days. It might aggravate my throat and I wouldn't want that. Good news though, my cough is not as bad and my cold is practically gone. Horay for full recovery. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment