Friday, May 28, 2010

Hello Kitty on Fondant

It was my first time to make marshmallow fondant and I have to say that I am quite pleased with how they turned out. I used a flower cutter and the center of my Hello Kitty cookie cutter to make the face. I then used gold and pink luster dust (use vodka to make the dust stick to the fondant) and this is how it looks after. Aren't they adorable? It was actually quite tough to make the marshmallow fondant. It was a sticky mess and I almost lost hope because I thought that it would never into a dough-y consistency... But I persevered and I got the consistency to my liking.


To make marshmallow fondant, I melted around 16 large marshmallows (most recipes use mini ones but I couldn't find any) added 1 and a half tablespoons of water and microwaved it. Once the marshmallow were puffed up and sticky, I started stirring it adding 1.5 cups of powdered sugar gradually. You can add more if the fondant is still sticky. OH OH. I forgot, you always have to grease everything. I used crisco to grease the bowl and my hands. Knead the marshmallow mixture until you get the consistency you like to work with. :)


So, here are the pink Hello Kitty cupcakes. They are moist chocolate cupcakes with chocolate filling and a chocolate cream cheese frosting. :) I had a hard time making the icing black as I didn't have any black food coloring around the house. I just mixed a lot of blue food coloring in, with a bit of red and a bit of yellow. The icing is still a bit grayish but that's the best I can do and I think it still looks quite wonderful.


Also, always remember that fondant should not be refrigerated as it can affect the texture and it would be weird to mold. Once you have decorated it on top of the cupcake, it is possible to put it in the fridge and actually, living in a tropical country, we have no choice but to put it in the fridge as the frosting would melt and it would look even more horrible. Best thing to do, decorate your cupcakes at the last possible minute to avoid it looking weird.

Speaking of which. My Superman cupcakes have started to bleed. I shouldn't have placed them on top of the frosting just yet... people are going to eat it anyway so I don't feel as bad. The red icing sort of bled into the yellow. It kinda looks a bit weird but I could say that it's an effect or something. It doesn't look super bad but I am still sad because it bled. Hehe. Lesson learned. At least it is something I shall remember next time I have another project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment